Picture courtesy of Andy Stables, glendaleskye.com
The North Skye Broadband project is being built by local volunteers, the talent and knowledge of these people including landowners who know their community and the lie of the land are key to the success of our project. Each volunteer that rises to the North Skye Broadband challenge will find it a wonderfully empowering and socially engaging opportunity. There’s nothing like building something for yourself and having that sense of pride and ownership and you don’t need to know anything about broadband to be involved!
To ensure that our network truly delivers we aim to engage and interact with all stakeholders in our area of operation. The more energy and interaction in each involved community the more support can be harnessed to deliver a better broadband service.
The support that we will need will be straightforward and we will be happy to provide guidance on how you can become involved. The key roles of our supporters will be to help with:
- informing the community and encouraging investment
- walking routes and agreeing wayleaves with landowners
- coordinating site work between volunteers and landowners
- possibly fieldwork of laying duct and installing chambers
- advising property owners and helping to install their house fittings
- baking for volunteers – All volunteers need ample supplies of tea and cake!
The best way to find out more about being a volunteer is to visit North Skye Broadband Events active areas, or look out for North Skye Broadband presentations in your community.
If you would like to volunteer please register an interest.