North Skye Broadband are the official group working with HIE, Community Broadband Scotland (CBS) and North Skye Communities to bring Superfast Broadband to 2,000+ North Skye residences not currently included in the BT roll out of Superfast Broadband in the Highland and Islands. This is anticipated to involve North Skye Broadband investing £1.5million+ in serving our communities. Since the first meeting in May 2015 we have made significant progress achieving the following milestones and continue to make rapid progress with an expectation that we will be implementing phase one of installing superfast broadband by August 2016.
Milestones to date
- Registration of the not for profit company to raise funds for the delivery of the project – North Skye Broadband
- Creation of Steering Group and operating criteria representative of the communities covered by the project
- Production of a Scoping Document
- Mapping Exercise and release of Postcodes from CBS undertaken
- Creation of PR Communications Group
- Successful application for stage one project funding completed
- Advertising, Interviews & Appointment of Project Manager undertaken
- Production of website and community engagement programme currently in hand
- Production and publication of the Public Consultation Document as required by EU law was delivered on 23rd December 2015
- Currently undertaking Preparation of Invitation to Tender Document for suppliers and stage two funding application.
Predictive Timeline for 2016 as detailed within the Public Consultation Document which is available on our Facebook Page
1. Community engagement rollout February 2016 onwards and ongoing
2. Selection of preferred supplier Late Spring 2016
3. Contract Award Summer 2016
4. Commencement of Superfast Broadband Roll Out Phase one late Summer/Early Autumn 2016
Within eighteen months of its initial meeting to discuss the lack of access to decent broadband services, the group will have progressed to starting the roll out of the infrastructure required to supply a modern Superfast Broadband system serving North Skye residents during 2017.
We are committed to servicing North Skye with a cutting edge Superfast Broadband with speeds in excess of 30 mbps. The company will be a social enterprise reinvesting it profits within the communities it serves. We are also working on creating a way that in time this service may also be made available to those who are outside our initial primary areas of funding. A significant amount of work has been undertaken by a voluntary group of people to reach this point. We have been unable to publicise much of what we have done for operational reasons surrounding certainty of funding and the requirement to agree the post codes covered by this project. These matters have now been clarified and North Skye Broadband look forward to progressing further in our quest to improve Broadband service to North Skye Residents and engaging in detail with our communities during the early part of 2016.